Thursday, September 06, 2012

2012 book 240

Ian McEwan's Sweet Tooth
An excerpt of this novel--most of the first chapter--ran in the New Yorker recently, and you had better believe I couldn't wait to read a novel about a young British girl recruited into being a spy in the early 70s. But things get complicated when she falls for her target, an aspiring writer. One of the things I liked most about this was that it was primarily a novel about a girl who loves novels, which is one of my favorite things to read. I mean, the spy stuff is great too, but characters waxing rhapsodic about books really makes me happy. And I have to say, the one thing I would have complained about while reading, too much focus on the love interest's writing, comes to make perfect sense. And I absolutely loved the ending. Really an enjoyable book and a quick read. A/A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in November.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I just recently bought the kindle edition of this one, can't wait to read it. Thanks for the quick review.