Saturday, September 29, 2012

2012 book 269

J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy
OK, so, the JK Rowling Book for Grownups. I totally see why this is getting better reviews in England than in America--I mean, it's a contemporary British novel. Maybe Americans were expecting something different? It's full of small town family and political squabbles, and I love that kind of thing. I will say that it was kind of a slow starter--I had trouble keeping some of the characters and their interrelationships straight till like halfway through--but I was totally engrossed by the end. And I kept forgetting that Rowling wrote it, b/c obviously it's so different than the HP books (she still has a way with writing teenagers, though this honestly seems more polished). All this rambling is to say that I actually liked it a lot, to my great surprise. A/A-.

No comments: