Sunday, June 15, 2014

2014 book 134

Lauren Oliver's Rooms
Oliver's latest (after the Delirium trilogy, Panic, some middle grade books, and my beloved Before I Fall) is her first adult novel, though I feel like older teenagers might enjoy it too. It centers on what happens when a wealthy man dies, and his family--his ex-wife, his troubled adult daughter and her little girl, and his suicidal teenage son--returns to the house for the first time in like a decade. Oh, and did I mention that the house is haunted? And that the ghosts--along with the living visitors to the house--are the narrators? Mixing family drama with a ghost story turns out to be seriously compelling reading, in my book. I mean, I definitely wished adult daughter Minna's characterization was something beyond "molestation victim turned nymphomaniac" (that's not really a spoiler or anything, it's hinted at from early on, and honestly, it makes no sense to me), but everything else about this was GREAT. The ghosts, and especially their relationship, were really well-done and entertaining. Very readable story. A-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in September.

No comments: