Tuesday, May 05, 2015

2015 book 115

Barbara Trapido's Brother of the More Famous Jack
Normally, I find the trope of middle-class-person-gets-involved-with-and-enraptured-by-a-family-of-eccentric-upper-class-people to be an annoying one, but it's totally charming in Trapido's 1982 debut (recently reissued with an introduction by Maria Semple, and $1.99 for the Kindle today). Or maybe it just feels fresh because it's a young middle-class girl falling in with said eccentric family (the family of her college professor, or whatever the British equivalent is) and falling in love with their son. Plus, she's not some namby-pampy kind of character--she may be naive, but she's smart and fashionable (she knits cool stuff!). It's definitely funny and occasionally heartbreaking, and I loved every minute I spent reading it. A.

**
I discovered when I went to post this review on Goodreads that I read it back in 2009, which I had absolutely no memory of!

No comments: