Tuesday, May 26, 2015

2015 book 130

Benjamin Alire Saenz' Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
The whole time I was reading this, I kept comparing it to Grasshopper Jungle--b/c I'm reading it for the same book club, and because it has some similar concepts on friendship/sexual confusion/teenage love. But this was SO MUCH BETTER. The narrative voice is super engaging, everything moves at a good pace, both boys are GREAT, their parents are great, there is a great dog, everything about this is great. Plus, great discussion of Mexican-Americans and how they feel/present themselves in a myraid of ways! And I jsut cried BUCKETS. I wanted to hug all these characters so hard. This is really good, if you've been meaning to read it for all these years, move it to the top of your list right now. A/A-.

No comments: