Wednesday, May 27, 2015

2015 book 131

Rae Carson's Walk on Earth a Stranger
I was kind of surprised that Carson's latest trilogy (after the Girl of Fire and Thorns books) was set in the historical US, and not in a fantasy world like her previous books. But she still includes a magical element--our heroine has the ability to sense gold, which is super handy, as the California Gold Rush has just started. A lot of this book stressed me out--her journey west is fairly harrowing--but in general, it just didn't quite grab me the way her first series did. Carson lays the groundwork for the future books, and I'm sure I'll at least give the next one a chance, but her characters are a little flat and the end of this one didn't really leave me wanting more. I mean, it's good, just not GREAT. B/B+.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in September.

No comments: