Tuesday, March 29, 2016

2016 book 56

Dorothy Sayers' Whose Body
Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries have been recommended to me a few times, and I honestly wanted to read something on the lighter side after my past few books (isn't it sad that murder mysteries are considered light reading?). And this was definitely light, and pretty funny, and a little bit clever. It involves Peter (the usual upper class goofball who's secretly sharp as a knife) getting called in when an acquaintance finds a dead body in his bathtub. There is also the case of the missing rich Jewish man (many of the characters here are casually anti-Semitic, which is certainly appropriate for upper-class British people in the 1920s, but I didn't feel like /Sayers/ was being anti-Semitic). Are these cases connected, and can Peter fit all the pieces together? I mean, it's pretty obvious who the murderer is, but I liked seeing the process of figuring it out, and really enjoyed the characters here. Very entertaining and just what my brain needed. A-. (BTW, the first three books in this series are available in a Kindle bundle for just $7.99, click the link above to check it out!)

No comments: