Monday, March 14, 2016

2016 book 49

Becky Chambers' A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
Several of my friends have raved about this recently and so I was curious about it, even though I don't read a lot of sci-fi--and it totally lives up to the hype! It's about the people--not all human!--on a spaceship that punches black holes into space to allow for faster travel--but really, it's about the people. Great characters here, ones I was rooting for the whole time. I was even into the various romances. There's lots of action and adventure too, and dare I say--it was all kind of adorable? Plus, the book itself has a great underdog sort of story--originally funded on Kickstarter, and now a nominee for the Orange Prize (oh, I guess it's called the Baileys Prize now). Anyway, really a fun read, the kind that makes me want to seek out more sci-fi. Luckily for me, Chambers is working on a companion novel! Yay. A/A-.

No comments: