Saturday, May 06, 2017

2017 book 81

Maile Meloy's Do Not Become Alarmed
I always eagerly await a new Maile Meloy book, because I think she is such an interesting and compelling author, but oof, this one was a little much for me. It centers on an extended family going on a cruise, and you can tell something is going to go wrong, but it was so much worse than I had anticipated. And Meloy is trying to tell a story about privilege and parenthood in these modern times, but it was so hard to read ("hard to read" is another way of saying "content warning for rape and violence!!!!!!"). I mean, I was so invested in and worried about the characters, but a lot of the plot felt contrived and I just felt relieved when it was over. I never know how to rate books that make me feel so bad about the world. B?


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on June 6th.

No comments: