Monday, May 15, 2017

2017 book 87

Erin Beaty's The Traitor's Kiss
This book has gotten a lot of good reviews that were all like "this is not your typical YA fantasy book," which is a total lie, but for most of the story I was feeling it as a solid B+: plucky heroine who wants MORE than to just be married in her dumb patriarchal society ends up apprenticed to a matchmaker, and gets involved in all sorts of political machinations, and there is a cute soldier, and everyone is spying on everyone else. I actually didn't hate the love story here, though of course it was overwrought at times. But there are a lot of rape threats, and man, the last quarter of this book is a complete bloodbath. Just made me feel sick to my stomach. And then to just top it off with a whole quart of cheesiness didn't sit well with me. I am not even super interested in what happens next in this trilogy--more political drama and battle scenes, presumably, but this read almost like a standalone in the lack of cliffhangers. Oh well. B/B-.

No comments: