Sunday, February 27, 2022

2022 book 37

 Natasha Pulley's The Kingdoms

I’m not sure why it took me so long to get around to this- it’s one of those books I kept checking out from the library and then getting distracted by other things, even though it had good reviews and I like the author. But hey, I finally read it, and it was good! It centers on a man who gets off a train in a world where Napoleon won his wars and there’s a big French empire in Europe, and he’s like, this isn’t right, but also I have total amnesia??? And it turns out a lot of people have weird amnesiac episodes, and his only clue is a postcard of a lighthouse. Anyway, pretty soon there are some time slips, and mysterious naval officers, and it’s all very compelling, if occasionally confusing. I did wish for slightly faster pacing, or at least for the big reveals to come a bit earlier, and I also wished the sister character was slightly better developed. But this was heartbreaking and joyful and romantic and awesome. A-.

No comments: