Tuesday, March 01, 2022

2022 book 38

 Katharine Kerr’s The Red Wyvern

Back on my bullshit, reading old fantasy series instead of new library books. This is the start of another sub-series in the Deverry Cycle, and introduces some new characters (including, briefly, one who seems to be in our world, or at least a world with Christianity) before linking them up with some characters from the first series. It does fill in some holes in the flashback timeline and I liked those new characters a lot, but was glad we got to see more of the mysterious magical dwarf island as well. I’ll be honest that I have lost track of a lot of the details of who is reincarnated into who across the many, many timelines at this point, but I just sort of let it all wash over me and eventually it all makes sense. The villains here are all pretty two-dimensional (read: boring) but everyone else makes up for it. A-.

No comments: