Saturday, March 12, 2022

2022 book 47

 Emily St John Mandel's Sea of Tranquility

So I will start by saying that I did like this a lot, but all the pre-pub hype saying it was like magical and hopeful gave me certain expectations, and I really /needed/ something magical and hopeful to read, but it didn’t really sweep me up the way I wanted. It’s the story of a weird anomaly and the three people who encounter in across centuries (one is Vincent from Mandel's The Glass Hotel) and the odd man they all encounter, who turns out to be a time traveler from a far future lunar colony, investigating the weird anomaly! And the book is really about him! But like I just needed more to be really invested; this novel is pretty short and I think could have used a few more moments with the characters. I did enjoy the meta aspects—one of the characters is a novelist in the 2200s who writes a pandemic novel just before a pandemic and has to suffer through a lot of interviews about it. Lol, I see you, Emily St John Mandel. A/A-.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on April 5th.

No comments: