Wednesday, March 30, 2022

2022 book 59

 Molly Gloss' The Hearts of Horses

Getting around to trying more stuff by Molly Gloss, and this was interestingly a very different kind of story than Outside the Gates, in that it's not fantastic at all--it's set in Oregon in the early days of WWI, and features a young woman who makes a living working with horses. (I've never been a horse girl but I do enjoy fiction with horses.) But it is similar in that it is all about the connections between people and how to build/be part of a community. There is an adorably awkward romance to root for, and a whole cast of interesting characters with lives full of love and loss and horses. Very thoughtful sort of book and I was also super emotionally invested. I don’t know if I can get my book club to read another historical novel about farmers/ranchers, but I just might try. A.

No comments: