Tuesday, March 29, 2022

2022 book 58

 Nicola Griffith's Spear

I’m not particularly interested in Arthurian lore (and yet I keep reading it because there is so much of it??), but I AM here for lesbians with swords, so hooray for this new novel by Griffith, which reimagines the knight Percival as a girl with mysterious parentage and even more mysterious abilities who knows she is fated to be one of Arthur's companions. So she dresses like a boy and goes off to meet her fate, dressed as a boy, keeping farmwives company along the way. Really solid story, doesn’t spend too much time going over well-trodden ground, and great characters in Peredur (Welsh for Percival, and don’t give me credit for knowing it was him, it was an author's note) and Nimue. My only complaint is that I did wish for more, this isn’t a long book, but I did really like how it wrapped up. A/A-.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in April.

No comments: