Friday, March 18, 2022

2022 book 51

 Alexandra Rowland's Some by Virtue Fall

I liked Rowland's first two novels pretty well, but I really got interested in their work after they wrote this amazing essay about Victoria Goddard. And I feel like they’re maybe taking a cue from Goddard, bc they’ve written two novellas set in their larger world (and have a full novel coming out later this year). In this first one, two theatre troupes (and their noble patrons) are bitter rivals, and our protagonists may come to ruin bc their new play was STOLEN by the other one! Is the cute actress from the other troupe a SPY? Everyone here is super queer and also a super dramatic theater kid and all the characters are delightful. I didn’t entirely buy that anyone would go as far as the rival troupe did, but I did like how it wrapped up. Very entertaining. A-.

No comments: