Sunday, April 17, 2022

2022 book 70

 John Scalzi's The Kaiju Preservation Society

I’ve actually never read anything by Scalzi before, but I had this checked out of the library when a friend at Seder happened to be raving about it, so I figured I might as well! Anyway, it is a fun and mostly diverting novel (I did bodily cringe at the occasional mentions of Covid and the Tr*mp Administration) about a guy who gets a mysterious job at a place that turns out to be in a parallel earth full of kaijus, with scientists studying them and so on. Parts of this are pretty predictable, but it’s all entertaining and action packed and I did actually laugh out loud a few times. I think the world could have been fleshed out a little more (presumably more than like ten people work there) but no major complaints. A-/B+.

No comments: