Friday, April 29, 2022

2022 book 75

 Megan O'Keefe's Velocity Weapon

I feel like I’ve been reading this book for like a whole week, it’s very long and there is so much going on. So it's a pretty classic sci fi sort of story, one POV character is a military woman who has been rescued by an enemy ship after a devastating battle—and when I say rescued by a ship, I mean the ship, because it's an AI! I looooove a spaceship with feelings! And the other main POV character is her younger brother, a rising political star dealing with space politics, which I also enjoy. But then there is sporadically a third POV character, a thief on a job gone very wrong, as well as occasional interludes from a journalist (fine, I liked her) and the woman on earth in the past who spearheaded their space shortcuts. Clearly a lot of that is going to come into play in later books, but between all that and a romance and the various timelines it is kind of too much. And this ends in a cliffhanger that actually makes me not super interested in reading the later books. I really liked the siblings and their stories and wish this book was just those sections, it would have been a lot tighter. B+.

No comments: