Wednesday, April 20, 2022

2022 book 71

 Louise Erdrich's The Sentence

Rereading this bc I’m making my book club discuss it this month (I am the benevolent dictator of our book club). I will say I enjoyed rereading this maybe even more than initially reading it, because you can see the pieces come together (and because you’re mentally prepared to read a book that gets into Covid and the George Floyd protests in the back half). This novel is the story of Tookie, an amazing narrator and protagonist who gets out of prison and gets a job at a bookstore (the bookstore the author owns in real life). Which is being haunted by their most annoying customer. So it’s a great love letter to books and bookstores, while also talking about love and family (all kinds of families) and the experiences of Indigenous people and the connections we have to one another. This was one of my favorite books of last year and I loved it just as much this time. I just hope my book club agrees!

No comments: