Saturday, April 30, 2022

2022 book 76

 A.G. Slatter's All the Murmuring Bones

I recently figured out that A.G. Slatter is Angela Slatter, whose work I like a lot, so hooray for new-to-me books by an author I like! Anyway, this is the story of a young woman who's the last in the direct line of a family that made a deal with the merfolk for prosperity and safety and whatnot, but they haven’t kept up their end of the bargain and their fortunes are in decline. So her grandmother is going to marry her off to a wealthy but awful cousin to try and restore things. I will say this story went to a lot of places I didn’t expect, and it’s always nice (or at least interesting) to be surprised. Parts of this are pretty dark/grim but the protagonist and her voice kept me engaged (I really enjoyed her) and I liked how it wrapped up a lot. A-.

No comments: