Saturday, October 01, 2022

2022 book 167

 Jake Maia Arlow's How to Excavate a Heart

After accidentally reading a very Christian book, I decided this would be the perfect antidote: a romance novel about a couple of Jewish lesbians….set at Christmas, lol. Anyway, our main character is Shani, a college freshman who’s come to DC over winter break for an internship, nursing a broken heart after being dumped by her girlfriend. And she keeps running into this cute girl…literally, actually: the first time Shani's mom hits the girl with their car! Anyway, I thought this book was super adorable, and I even bought the inevitable late-book communication issues bc they were teens dealing with trauma. Lots of fun secondary characters too, I would soooo watch a movie based on this. Very enjoyable, and I a, definitely making my book club read this. A/A-.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on November 1st.

No comments: