Tuesday, October 18, 2022

2022 book 183

 Andrea K. Host's The Silence of Medair

I really enjoyed the sci-fi series I read by Host, so decided to try a fantasy duology by her since it was already on my to-read list. This is an intriguing set-up, about a woman who works for the Emperor, until an invading army comes, and she goes off on a quest to find a mystical macguffin that will save them. And she finds it! Except she stops to sleep for the night, and when she wakes up, five hundred years have passed, her people lost the war, and both groups have intermarried for centuries, so who even counts as “her people” anymore? And then she’s caught up in a bunch of magic and politics, which is my jam. This fell off a little for me towards the end, but I have hope the sequel will make up for it. A-.

No comments: