Friday, October 28, 2022

2022 book 188

 Tracy Deonn's Bloodmarked

I really loved Legendborn, so have been eagerly anticipating/mildly anxious about the second book in the series. And it is a whirlwind, action-packed, tons going on, lots of interesting magical conflict and teen drama balanced out by discussions of serious things like racism and the lingering effects of slavery (there is some VERY COOL Black Girl Magic in this one). I did maybe wish for a little less teen drama, but it IS a YA book, and the text literally acknowledges the drama, so I really can’t complain. I will say the protagonist makes several frustrating (to me) choices during this book, but things move so quickly that it almost doesn’t even matter? At least it’s never predictable! Lots of interesting new characters and revelations, I think the fans will be pleased with this follow-up and intrigued to see where things go next (obviously myself included). A/A-.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on November 8th.

No comments: