Tuesday, October 11, 2022

2022 book 176

 Freya Marske's A Restless Truth

I liked the first book in this series a lot and was psyched for the second, which … was fine. It’s awesome that the romance is between two women (the non-magical sister of one of the guys from book one, and a scandalous magician heiress she meets on a ship from New York back to England), but the romance itself felt kind of rushed/all over the place (the whole book takes place over six days). Whereas solving the mystery (here, a magical murder and stolen magical macguffins) takes too long to get going. I feel like the author balanced that better in the first one—the pacing didn’t work for me as well here. It was just really slow (though I thought the very steamy parts worked well). I’m guessing the third book will be about the Lord with the mysterious past who reluctantly helps with the mystery and the journalist who gets dragged into things. I might or might not bother with it. B.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on November 1st.

No comments: