Tuesday, November 01, 2022

2022 book 191

 N.K. Jemisin's The World We Make

So an author's note at the end of this book explains that this planned trilogy became a duology basically because of ~waves hand~ the world situation burning the author out (I mentioned this in my reread review of the first one, but because real life has become more like her heightened world in the last few years, it was a much more stressful read the second time). So if the end feels a little rushed, that’s probably why. I did enjoy this enough to gulp it down in one sitting, but it didn’t feel like the strongest Jemisin work. I mean, if it was stressful to read, I'd imagine it was also kind of stressful to write. I think I wanted more catharsis, but the ending just didn’t leave space for that (I did /like/ the ending though). No major complaints, just the world sucking interfered with this story. I hope she gets to write something fun next. A-.

No comments: