Friday, November 11, 2022

2022 book 197

 Rainbow Rowell's Scattered Showers

So I rarely read collections of short stories unless they’re kind of telling a larger story, bc either a) I get annoyed and want to read a whole novel about the characters, or b) start to find them kind of same-y after a while. And I wish the story order was different here, bc there are SEVERAL in a row about angsty teens getting together with a romantic partner, and it was very same-y at a certain point (I did like the one about the 90s-era college student and the dude who keeps making her mix cds, very relatable lol). And of course some of these stories I had read before. Luckily the last few were newish, revisiting some of my favorite Rowell characters (Beth and Jennifer texting! Simon and Baz at Christmas! And I don’t even LIKE Christmas), and then one involving fictional characters incubating in their author’s mind. Fun stuff. I will say I did the special preorder to get the Simon and Baz AU zine solely because I thought I’d get to see Simon's mom doting on him (the title is “My Rosebud Boy” which is what she called him) but she is actually dead in that story too. Very cute AU but like GIVE ME LUCY DOTING! Anyway, it ended on a high note but took me a couple days to get through the first half. B+?

No comments: