Tuesday, November 29, 2022

2022 book 206

 Laurie Colwin's A Big Storm Knocked It Over

I was talking earlier today about how I easily have fifty books on my kindle waiting to be read, so I thought I’d make an effort to read one (I bought this book in 2019, haha). I didn’t like this quite as much as the previous book I’d read by Colwin, but it was a pleasant read and I liked the narrative voice a lot. The protagonist is a thirty-something newlywed, adjusting to married life and contemplating a pregnancy, all while dealing with difficult colleagues at a publishing company. (There are some absolutely hilarious moments in her workplace, and some really sweet moments in her home life.) I will say that this was written in the 90s, so I was very shocked to see straight up racist slurs being casually thrown around, so be warned about THAT. B+.

No comments: