Wednesday, February 16, 2005

romance novels

i have to read a romance novel for my popular materials class next week. does anyone know of one that might entertain me, as opposed to making me want to claw my eyeballs out? i mean, i'm not totally a terrible book snob (i did think that mystery book i read was fun), but romance novels always seem extra silly and formulaic. i am pretty sure chick-lit doesn;t count, which is fine, b/c i don't really like chick-lit (it is jsut as formulaic and silly as regular romance books, but everyone is so much more fashionable and adorably neurotic!). i mean, if i'm going to read some torrid love story, i'd rather there at least be some bodice-ripping and maybe some horses for scenery.

as a side note, does anyone know where i can obtain a romance novel? the kids at nightlight made fun of me for buying that mystery book, until i defensively explained that it was for homework.

6 comments:

David said...

go to the PTA thrift store. That is where I get my romance novels.

Alicia K. said...

ooh, good call! and it's only two blocks away from my apartment. who knew romance novels were just a short walk away?

Alex Wilson said...

If I was forced to read a romance novel, I'd probably look for Lynne Cheney's novel about prostitution and lesbianism in the old west. At least it'd be good conversation-fodder for later.

A blog transcribed it but it appears to have been taken down (not surprising). But if you can't find a physical copy--the Cheneys halted republication plans by Penguin and used copies go for $200+ on Amazon--I found this on Google: LynneCheney.doc

Alicia K. said...

i'm not sure i could stomach reading lynne cheney's novel, even if she does disavow it now. i mean, ew, she sleeps w/ dick cheney. the whole thing makes my skin crawl.

Anonymous said...

sarah has a friend who writes romances and i think we might have a couple around the house she'd be willing to lend you, if you haven't found anything yet.

Alicia K. said...

i think christina is hooking me up with a book, but thanks! :)