Sunday, February 25, 2007

2006 book 22, quilts

Emily Mitchell's The Last Summer of the World
An excellent first novel about the noted photographer (not a noted fashion photographer, ANTM fans!) Edward Steichen and his experiences as an aerial photographer during WWI. While dealing with the horrors of war, he flashes back to various past events that led to the dissolution of his marriage. Interestingly, the author downplays some of his celebrity circle; although his close friendship with Rodin comes up a lot, and Gertrude Stein is mentioned now and then, the fact that Carl Sandburg was his brother-in-law only becomes apparent when reading the historical note at the end. I suppose those things are taken for granted by people familiar with Steichen; I'd never really heard his name, though cursory research revealed that I was familiar with many of his photographs. Anyway, I liked it well enough to read it all tonight, even during Battlestar Galactica. A.

In other news, I've started assembling the t-shirt quilt that I began working on back in 2001. Here's the quandary: when this stage is done, I'm going to have six rows of six squares each (and the next stage will be another six rows of six squares). Should I sew all of those together and make one big square and then stuff it and stuff, or should I sew each one of those a back and then stuff it and then sew them all together? Also, my mom suggested I actually make two t-shirt quilts instead of having it be double-sided. Besides the fact that that would be way more expensive, I kind of like the idea of it being double-sided, but I'm certainly open for suggestions as clearly I'm clueless about quilts.

No comments: