Wednesday, September 19, 2007

2007 book 140

Alice Kuipers' Life on the Refrigerator Door: Notes Between a Mother and a Daughter
I read a good review of this somewhere and decided to check it out--it's basically exactly what the title leads you to believe, notes between a single mom and her teenage daughter. Of course it's hard to actually write sympathetic characters when they're writing brief notes to each other, or maybe Kuipers just isn't that great at it. She definitely was going for a tearjerker sort of story but I was pretty meh on it. Also, the writing styles were really unbelievable, especially the teenager's. Anyway, C.

Also, I actually watched the premiere of Gossip Girl tonight (it was on right after ANTM and Kristen Bell was narrating, so I got sucked in). It's somewhere between deliciously trashy and sweet! I may add it to my to-watch list. Oh, and since I'm blogging during Top Chef and my TV is in another room, clearly I've grown bored with it. I don't care which contestant wins, though I do hope it's not Hung. Still, I don't care enough to bother watching it anymore. That's what TWoP recaplets are for!

3 comments:

DarcyPennell said...

I think the "book of letters" conceit is hard to do well (or at least, easy to do so it seems like a tired cliche). I would imagine a "book of refrigerator notes" would be even more of a pitfall. And if there's a "book of text messages" out there somewhere, please don't tell me -- I don't want to know!

Anonymous said...

Aww. I have a note on my desktop to remind me to look for this book as I thought it sounded good. I was disappointed to hear it didn't work for you . . . but I still might try it myself.

Yeah, Top Chef . . . there's just no drama, no one to hate. And the Tim Gunn show? Um, kinda boring, I'm sorry to say, but I'm still going to keep watching it.

Alicia K. said...

Sarah--totally.

minty--don't let me dissuade you! Actually, I'd be interested to know what you think.