Sunday, December 16, 2007

2007 book 178

Marie Phillips' Gods Behaving Badly
This novel is kind of like Neil Gaiman's American Gods, if that book was a light and silly romp that has the Greek pantheon living together in a house in London. Wackiness ensues when a cleaning woman and her sort-of-boyfriend enter their lives and when Aphrodite takes revenge on Apollo. I actually quite liked it, mainly b/c Artemis was the central figure and she was always my favorite goddess when I was little (I loved her stories and pictures in D'Aulaires'). Interestingly, this book was sitting on my couch this morning waiting to be read after I finished the paper, and the one-page book section actually had a review of it! It didn't say much (didn't even mention Gaiman, which is really the most obvious comparison) but did note that Ben Stiller had optioned it for a tv series. I did love the Ben Stiller Show when it was on a million years ago, so maybe it would be good? Another reason to hope the stupid studios settle with the writers soon . . .

Oh yeah, I'll give it an A, b/c it really was fun.

No comments: