Friday, December 21, 2007

best comics of 2007 as chosen by the artists (and me)

The Daily Cross Hatch has compiled a list of various awesome comic book artists' five favorite comics of 2007. There's a great variety of titles, though not nearly enough love for Scott Pilgrim, and too much love for the Fletcher Hanks book (which I didn't really like much).

My own five favorites?

Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together
Aya
American Elf vol. 2
All of the cute new Love and Rockets reprints (I keep wanting to buy them, but it's hard to justify since I own all the content already--but here's one that I think is a great starting point for newcomers to the series)
Aaaand the Yotsuba&! series (vols. 4 and 5 came out this year, so it counts), which I finally started reading and it is ADORABLE.

I read a lot of other great graphic novels this year, and of course there are the comic book series I'm still reading and loving (like Y the Last Man, Fables, Powers, Love and Rockets, and others I'm forgetting), but these are the stories I keep coming back to.

3 comments:

js said...

yeah, that fletcher hanks book looks like an interesting curio, but a little tough to swallow after a while. sort of like most outsider art.

my new year's resolution this year is to read more comics. i'll use your list as a primer.

Alicia K. said...

Some of those might be too cute for your taste, but definitely check out Scott Pilgrim and Love and Rockets if you haven't. I think you'd like Aya too. Anyway, I can email you more personalized recommendations if you want. :)

js said...

i've been meaning to check out scott pilgrim.