Monday, December 31, 2007

top 11 of 2007!

I know, with 185 books read, you'd think I'd have more than eleven favorites. It turns out 2007 yielded a lot of pretty good books, but not a lot that I totally loved. Here they are, in no particular order!

Heather McElhatton's Pretty Little Mistakes
J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Diana Abu-Jaber's Origin
Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union
Austin Grossman's Soon I Will be Invincible
Haruki Murakami's After Dark
Joshua Ferris' Then We Came to the End
Lisa Lutz's The Spellman Files
China Mieville's Un Lun Dun
Lisa Tucker's Once Upon a Day

The list is slightly dude-heavier than last year's, though a few books by women almost made the list (Lionel Shriver's Post Birthday World, Stef Penney's Tenderness of Wolves, and Aryn Kyle's The God of Animals [which was disqualified b/c I can't stand reading about brutality toward animals]). Anyway, these were the books I found particularly appealing this year--clearly my tastes are running more toward mystery type books these days (Spellman Files' sequel comes out in March!) but there is a healthy dose of fantasy in there as well.

OK, now it's time to bake cupcakes for tonight!

No comments: