Thursday, March 06, 2008

2008 book 30

Joshilyn Jackson's The Girl Who Stopped Swimming
It's funny--I've had this book on my hold list at the library forever b/c it's been getting such good reviews--and then I found it at the bottom of a pile of books in my bedroom this afternoon. Yup, I'd gotten an advance copy at ALA and totally misplaced it. I'm actually sad that I could have read this book a month ago--that's an extra month to love and recommend it! Because, hey, I love and recommend it. It's about a young mother, Laurel, living with her family in a suburban community in Florida (though several characters went to college in the Triangle--local interest for those who live there!) who occasionally sees ghosts. One night the ghost of her daughter's best friend wakes her up--the girl has drowned in their swimming pool. In the aftermath, Laurel calls on her somewhat eccentric actress sister to come to their aid, and as they attempt to figure out what happened to the girl, their own pasts are revealed to the reader. Totally an A.

No comments: