Wednesday, March 12, 2008

2008 books 32, 33, 34

Marisha Pessl's Special Topics in Calamity Physics
Having some time to kill once in a mall while various parts of my brakes were being replaced, I purchased a copy of this, since it was one of my favorites of 2006. I decided to give it a reread since details were hazy, and enjoyed it very much the second time around. Here's my original review.

Jane Austen's Persuasion
I have several friends who are devoted Austen fans, and one lists this as her favorite Austen work. I did like it a lot, but I don't think it was my favorite.

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
Because this one was! Probably liking this one best is cliched, but this one has more of Austen's wit than Persuasion. I recently watched both the 1990s Colin Firth miniseries version as well as the 1980 one with no big name stars (the Colin Firth one is way better--the other is totally low budget), and it was interesting to see which speeches were lifted directly from the text. I seriously cannot believe I'd never actually read this before. What a waste of 25 literate years.

2 comments:

christinamerge said...

Oh yay! Sometimes cliches are warranted - Pride and Prejudice is the best!

Alicia K. said...

I'm totally obsessed with it now!