Sunday, August 31, 2008

animals

OK, enough already with media bombarding me with images of cruelty and neglect toward animals! And I'm not even talking about those Animal Cops shows on Animal Planet. I was already feeling sad enough about animals after reading Rilla of Ingleside today, in which a beloved kitten is drowned and a wonderful dog spends the entirety of WWI waiting at the train station for his master to come home*. It's a trend I've seen in some more recent literature as well. Mad Men tonight was really the last straw. I demand recommendations for books and tv shows and movies where dogs and cats are petted and loved and nothing bad happens to them.


__
*Just like the episode of Futurama about Fry's dog. I saw it once and cried for about ten minutes afterward. Whenever that episode is on, I quickly change the channel.

No comments: