Saturday, November 22, 2008

twilight: the movie

So a couple of friends and I went to see the Twilight movie tonight--one had never read the books and only knew what wikipedia had to say about them, the other had read and enjoyed the first one. We were expecting teen melodrama, angst, etc, and I will say that we got that in spades. The audience was responsive--they applauded whe Robert Pattinson first appeared, and laughed at his hammy facial expressions during the biology class scene (the director did not intend for those scenes to be funny, for the record). I actually enjoyed the first half of the movie--Catherine Hardiwicke totally gets teenagers--but god did it drag on. I thought for sure it was over three hours and was shocked to look at my watch afterward and see that it was barely two. The consensus in our little group was that it really was a terrible movie. And I'm still on Team Jacob.

6 comments:

js said...

haha, that last comment pretty much sums it up.

i am glad you liked this movie, but from my experience you enjoyed it in spite of catherine harwicke, not because of her. i watched "thirteen" about a year ago, and it was one of the worst movies i have ever seen. every teenage foible is totally exaggerated. i hated everyone in the movie. that said, i'm glad you enjoyed this one!

Alicia K. said...

"The consensus in our little group was that it really was a terrible movie."

I didn't enjoy it at all! Horrible teen romance montages, ridiculous action scenes, bad actors staring at each other . . . ugh.

js said...

shit, i need to work on my reading comprehension. my bad! the realization that catherine hardwicke has been allowed to make another movie got me all worked up.

christinamerge said...

Lindsey and I remain Team Edward despite the movie being both terrible and yet terribly awesome!

Sarah said...

so are the Twilight books worth reading? I saw a hilarious series of reviews/recaps on LJ that made them sound like trashy good fun.

Alicia K. said...

Oh, they're definitely worth reading! I totally enjoyed them.