Saturday, June 27, 2009

2009 book 134

Jennifer Steinhauer and Jessica Hendra's Beverly Hills Adjacent
What, another book about an LA academic with a husband in showbiz? I was hoping it would be fluffier and more fun than the last one I read. I guess it was fluffier, but this story of a UCLA professor and her struggling academic husband was really unlikable. All of the characters were total jerks! It really annoyed me. I'm not sure why I kept reading, except to see what these assholes would do next. And of course they got a totally ridiculous ending to boot. C-.

2 comments:

Sociologian said...

I was at an LA-area party today where I met an academic and her husband who was in show business. Although their life is more interesting than mine, they didn't tell anecdotes that could carry a novel.

Alicia K. said...

Well, that makes sense, b/c these characters' anecdotes couldn't really carry a novel either!

I ask you--what academic waits until the last minute to get his or her tenure portfolio together? This book was just stupid.