Monday, June 29, 2009

2009 book 137

J. Courtney Sullivan's Commencement
The jacket copy doesn't do this book justice--four totally different girls, one a sweet Southerner, one a radical feminist, one a lapsed Catholic, one recovering from her mother's recent death all meet at Smith and become totally awesome friends, and now they're all getting together four years later for one's wedding! I mean, it sounds like some cheesy Julia Roberts movie. Luckily, that's just the bare bones of the story, and there's so much more to these characters and their lives in college and afterward. I did have slightly mixed feelings about the ending, but this was a really, really great read. And I would not be at all surprised to see this made into a movie--ooh, guys, read this book and we can have imaginary casting sessions in the comments!--but I hope it would do right by the novel and not be a totally cheesefest. Anyway. A/A-.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I'm sold!

Alicia K. said...

I think you'll like it--it does get pretty dark toward the end though, but I'm just happy it manages to do all it does and avoid total lame chick lit cliches.

Unknown said...

Mixed feelings about the ending, too. I felt like I knew those girls, though. I never went to a girls school - that stuff was definitely entertaining.