Monday, November 30, 2009

2009 book 245

I had planned on picking up the books on my Shelf Discovery Challenge list while home for Thanksgiving, but could only find one, so I guess I need to rethink my options! I did snag another book I loved in middle school:

Robin McKinley's Beauty
I believe my class read McKinley's retelling of Beauty and the Beast in 5th or 6th grade (one of its themes was apparently "Don't judge a book by its cover" which I had written in the inside front cover with an exclamation point). Anyway, Beauty is a fairly interesting heroine--the typical bookish plain girl, though much more engaging than, say, Bella from Twilight--and I always liked the invisible servants! The end does come all in a rush--pretty anticlimactic after all the build-up, but still a good story.

Maybe I'll reread A Wrinkle in Time and the Westing Game, which were both on the SDC list, and both of which I have here, and both of which are awesome stories deserving of a reread (maybe I'll even reread When You Reach Me, since it ties in so nicely to A Wrinkle in Time).

2 comments:

ahartsell said...

I remember loving Robin McKinley's Beauty! I must have re-read the Westing Game like a hundred times as a kid :)

Alicia K. said...

Sure, b/c that book is AWESOME!!