Thursday, June 03, 2010

2010 book 145

Laurie R. King's The God of the Hive
The latest Mary Russell book picks up where the last one left off, which is unfortunate as a) I barely remember that one, and b) What I remember, I remember not liking much. Once again, Russell and Holmes are apart for most of the book, which makes things much less fun. The previous mystery turns out to be even more mysterious and sinister, and some interesting new characters are introduced, so I got caught up in things despite myself. One minor quibble: the jacket talks about a lady doctor "with a secret" only we don't see her much and she didn't seem to have any secrets whatsoever. Is making things seem EVEN MORE exciting really necessary? Anyway, this was ok. B.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I just listened to the first book in this series as an audiobook - it was really good - very motivational in getting to the gym.

Alicia K. said...

Awesome! Yeah, the series is a lot of fun--Mary Russell is a great character.

Christina said...

I had the same problem - couldn't remember what happened in the last one. I also don't like how everything about her relationship with Holmes has completely disappeared. I love that stuff, and I miss it in these later books. I loved the character of Robert Goodman, though!