Saturday, June 05, 2010

2010 book 147

Before I get into the latest book commentary, some housekeeping: it's been suggested that I refine my tagging system to be more helpful to ppl looking for lists of books. I have YA, mysteries, fantasy, Judaism, nonfiction . . . what else should I be using for tags? Suggestions welcome!

Anyway:

Sarah Addison Allen's Garden Spells
Since I enjoyed Allen's other two novels so much, as soon as Arianne recommended this one, I sought it out. And, just like the others, it's a great read. It felt especially appropriate as I've been discussing literary sisters this week, and the two here exemplify a certain literary trope of estranged sisters coming together. One sister (along with her very likable daughter) returns to her childhood home, fleeing an abusive husband, and reunites with her repressed sister, who runs a catering company specializing in edible flowers--which, as per Allen's type of magical realism, have special powers. Love interests come into the picture and things wrap up just as you'd want them to, which is not a bad thing. Some points off for referring to UNC as "Chapel Hill University"--Allen, an NC native who sets all her books in our awesome state, should know better. A-.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I liked this one a lot - I read it this weekend - made me hungry!

Alicia K. said...

Haha, yeah, Allen does GREAT food descriptions!!