Sunday, January 09, 2011

2011 book 12

Libba Bray's Beauty Queens
I've never been really into Bray's writing--I thought A Great and Terrible Beauty was ok, and never read Going Bovine (despite its many awards) because it just seemed depressing. But when I saw the cover (as seen here), I HAD to pick it up. I mean, it's about a bunch of beauty pageant contestants who get stranded on a desert island! And one is an undercover journalist, one is a comic book geek, and one is a transgender former boy-bander. I really enjoyed watching these characters get to know each other, and themselves. But the island may not actually be deserted after all . . . Also, it's mostly set in a world like ours but there is an all-powerful Corporation running the show. Bray's narrative voice is snarky, cynical, sweet, and hilarious. This may be the funnest book I ever read. And yes, that's funnest, not funniest. Pure fun. Comes out in May, be eagerly awaiting it. A.

No comments: