Sunday, January 23, 2011

2011 book 28

Laura Lippman's In Big Trouble
I enjoyed Girl in the Green Raincoat so much that I decided to read more of the Tess Monaghan books. I picked this one--I think it's the 4th in the series--sort of at random, partially b/c it seemed to involve the guy who's Tess' boyfriend in the one I read, partially b/c I had the impression the earlier ones in this series aren't as polished as Lippman's later books. And yeah, this one was a bit clumsy and full of over-explanations at first--I had to put it down for a couple of days, but when I came back to it, the story was enough to keep me going. It all starts when Tess gets a newspaper photo of her ex Crow in the mail, with the headline "In Big Trouble," sending her off to try and track him down in Texas and finding her way into a crazy homicide case. Most of the book takes place in San Antonio, and since I've actually been there, I was pleased to see the touristy details were correct. Another side note: this must have been written in the early 2000s. I was amused to see references to Netscape. In the end, it all turned out to be very entertaining and I'll definitely read more of this series. B+.

No comments: