Friday, January 14, 2011

2011 book 18

Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red
When I started this book, I kind of had that thought that Gier was really inspired by The Time Traveler's Wife--at least, she takes the idea of a gene for time-traveling and runs away with it. Then I got so sucked into the story that I didn't care anymore. Our protagonist is teenager Gwyneth, living the normal London teenage lifestyle--only not entirely, because the women in her family have a gene that allows them to time-travel, and she has to watch her cousin Charlotte get initiated into the family secrets. But it turns out (of course) that Gwyneth has the gene, leading to all sorts of historical adventures and secret societies and maybe even romance. Oh, and some awesome ghosts. Gier does a great job of doling out the family secrets--I was intrigued enough to want to read the two sequels immediately, but alas, they're not out yet in other English-speaking countries either (this was originally written in German and I had hopes that the series would be out in England already). This is the down side of getting ARCs--this book doesn't even come out till May, so I'll be waiting like a year and a half for the next one! A.

No comments: