Thursday, March 03, 2011

2011 book 61

Manuel Munoz's What You See in the Dark
Munoz deftly weaves two stories together--one about a love affair that has everyone in town talking, and one involving a famous actress and director coming to town to scout locations--into something bigger than the sum of its parts. He especially does atmosphere well--I could feel the heat and the dust and the gossip and the quiet of a small California town--and I also liked that part of the story is narrated by a jealous rival of the local girl. His refusal to name the actress and director could be off-putting, but I thought it worked in light of the larger story (especially b/c I figured out the movie at the end of chapter two, which I was delighted to have Algonquin confirm on Twitter. It's easy to figure out through the course of the book even if you're not any kind of movie buff). Anyway, great read. A-.


(A review copy was provided by the publisher.)

No comments: