Tuesday, March 22, 2011

2011 book 71

Kate Atkinson's Started Early, Took My Dog
Yay, the fourth Jackson Brodie book finally came out in the US! I love these books so much I almost ordered it from the UK, but didn't, but it would have been worth it. I was a little worried it wouldn't be great--the first one is, the second one was pretty good, and the third one was stellar--would Atkinson have run out of steam? The answer is a big-time NO. This may be the best of the lot. The mystery isn't super intense--Jackson, while trying to find a woman's birth mother, gets tangled up in a decades-old murder that seems to be rearing its head again, plus there are some shady kidnappings--but somehow this story was the most satisfying of the four, I think. Of course, that's because the focus isn't on the mystery per se, but on what makes a family, and how aging can affect a person, and how life isn't really black and white. And there is a really, really awesome dog. A.

No comments: