Tuesday, May 01, 2012

2012 book 126

Rebecca Stead's Liar & Spy
Stead's last novel, the amazing When You Reach Me, won the Newbery Award and also is one of my favorite books ever. I was eager to read her new one, but worried it could never compare. And while it's not really on the same emotional level--I mean, I straight up SOB whenever I read When You Reach Me--it's still an excellent book, about a middle-school boy whose family suddenly moves from a house to an apartment when his dad loses his job . .  where he meets a new friend, a boy who's obsessed with spying on a mysterious neighbor. Meanwhile, he has to deal with increasingly annoying bullying from classmates and the upcoming class Taste Test, which prophecies either true love or a terrible demise. But is everything quite what it seems? The characterization here is great--Stead is really gifted at writing believable and unusual children--and I loved the resolution. A/A-.

__
An e-galley was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in August.

No comments: