Monday, May 21, 2012

2012 book 143

Juliet Marillier's Daughter of the Forest
I liked Marillier's upcoming YA fantasy book a lot (scroll down a bit for details) and wanted to check out some of her other work--this is the first in an adult fantasy series (apparently it was originally meant to be a trilogy but has stretched to 5 books, with a 6th coming), based on that fairy tale where a girl's brothers get turned into swans and she can't talk and has to hand-make them shirts to turn them back. This doesn't keep all the details of the story, b/c Marillier weaves a whole epic around it set in ancient Ireland, giving the reader time to get to know the girl and her brothers before the inevitable tragedy strikes (and then more and more tragedies . . . ). I swear I read this whole book with my heart in my throat, and was both happy with the end and vaguely relieved that it was done. Of course I'm starting the sequel right now. A-.

No comments: