Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Drama!

I don't usually review graphic novels in a formal way (b/c I don't count them toward my yearly book totals) but got an advance copy of Raina Telgemeier's Drama and wanted to talk about it b/c it's awesome! Telgemeier is, of course, the author of Smile, the MG graphic novel that has won more awards and acclaim than any other that I've ever heard of (deservedly--it's cute and very compelling too), as well as adapting the Babysitter's Club GNs. Telgemeier manages to avoid sophomore slump with Drama, a work of fiction about the stage crew of a middle school play. There's lots of boy drama and drama-drama, but heroine Callie is completely adorable and relatable, and I loved this. Telegeimeier totally nails middle school in a really fun way.

__
An e-galley was provided by the publisher. Drama will be released in the fall.

No comments: